• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Should we take a break from Hyrule?

Daku Rinku

Dark Link
Absolutely.

Confining each game to Hyrule makes the world feel very small. I never get the sense that there's anything beyond Hyrule, since nothing outside of it is mentioned and almost everything taking place beyond its borders is a "parallel world".
I thought Gerudo Village was outside Hyrule. Is it not?

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
ZD Champion
Wait, special boy? I would have sworn Spirit Tracks took place in New Hyrule? Wind Waker takes place in Hyrule as well before it was called New Hyrule. Phantom Hourglass as well, (Skyward Sword takes place in Hyrule) that's definitely an "iteration of Hyrule" as op said. Anyway, I like Hyrule but I'm a huge fan of Holodrum, Labrynna, Koholint, Termina, Calatia, and Subrosia as well. I think Nintendo can make any setting work, but I definitely don't want to lose Hyrule if they do decide to set a game in a different world.
New hyrule is a separate continent, not just the old hyrule renamed

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
Wait, special boy? I would have sworn Spirit Tracks took place in New Hyrule? Wind Waker takes place in Hyrule as well before it was called New Hyrule. Phantom Hourglass as well, (Skyward Sword takes place in Hyrule) that's definitely an "iteration of Hyrule" as op said. Anyway, I like Hyrule but I'm a huge fan of Holodrum, Labrynna, Koholint, Termina, Calatia, and Subrosia as well. I think Nintendo can make any setting work, but I definitely don't want to lose Hyrule if they do decide to set a game in a different world.
WW and SS's tier are an extension of Hyrule that you can technically say are still Hyrule, just you know, tacks on another setting on top of that (literally in both)

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I was hoping for TotK DLC that would be the equivalent of the Bloodmoon DLC for Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind. Or to use Skyrim as an example, the Dragonborn DLC. Where we get to explore an entirely new mass of land, whether it's part of Hyrule's jurisdiction or not.

But yes, I think exploring beyond Hyrule is always interesting. I think it's the reason games like Majora's Mask and Link's Awakening are so compelling. That said, typically these games set in new lands only work when there is a definite incarnation of Link to relate to and tie the new journey back to Hyrule in some way. Link's Awakening works so well because it references a lot of experiences for ALttP Link. Similarly, MM is so interesting because it continues the story of the Hero of Time. In contrast, Tri Force Heroes doesn't work well because, well, the story isn't serious to begin with, but also the game makes no effort to establish which version of Link stumbled into Hytopia. (It was only after interviews that the devs said it is supposed to be ALBW Link)

Daku Rinku

Dark Link
you know by that same token, Ordon village is technically not part of Hyrule, this is basically the only time we see what's beside it and it's just some village
I originally believed Hyrule was only the domain ruled by Zelda’s family. The Zora had a King & Princess Rute, Darunia is Patriarch of the Goron, and The Gerudo is matriarchal save for the king Ganondorf. My assumption was any domain that has ita own king or major ruler is outside Hyrule.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
WW and SS's tier are an extension of Hyrule that you can technically say are still Hyrule, just you know, tacks on another setting on top of that (literally in both)
This was my understanding of it. Not that it matters much, I think it's a good way of retaining Hyrule's sense of place while updating and expanding on it. Hyrule is literally the land of Hylia to whom was entrusted the triforce, of which one of the pieces is the defining characteristic of the protagonist of the series. Hyrule is indispensable to the Legend of Zelda (Zelda being the mortal incarnation of the goddess Hylia after which the people were named leading the land to be called Hyrule). I think Nintendo has done a perfectly serviceable job of keeping Hyrule interesting.

Daku Rinku

Dark Link
This was my understanding of it. Not that it matters much, I think it's a good way of retaining Hyrule's sense of place while updating and expanding on it. Hyrule is literally the land of Hylia to whom was entrusted the triforce, of which one of the pieces is the defining characteristic of the protagonist of the series. Hyrule is indispensable to the Legend of Zelda (Zelda being the mortal incarnation of the goddess Hylia after which the people were named leading the land to be called Hyrule). I think Nintendo has done a perfectly serviceable job of keeping Hyrule interesting.
Zelda is Hylia? Is that like Ganondorf is Demise?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom